You can never go wrong with pork chops. You can cook them however way you want, with vegetables, pineapple juice or plain.
They are best served with mash potatoes or rice sidings. Know that there are many types of pork chops. Some has to be cooked over low heat and slow for tender meat, while others has to be cooked fast over high heat to save them from drying.
Know that the best type of pork chops for slow and low heat cooking are shoulder chops, blade chops and sirloin chops. The tricky part is these names vary from store to store. These chops are usually cheaper than the chops that need fast and high heat cooking. To be sure of the right pork chops look for cuts that come from shoulders and hind quarters. Regardless of the name, cuts from these areas are best for the slow cooking method.
To slow cook correct cuts, follow the following steps:
• Rinse off the pork chop and pat them dry
• Sprinkle both sides with pepper and salt (you may substitute garlic for salt)
• Place the cut at the bottom of the slow cooker (you may have the option of adding vegetables like cut carrots)
• Put enough water to cover the pork chop (and vegetables) or pour sauerkraut over the top instead
• Cover the slow cooker and let the cut simmer
• Cook at 225 degrees Fahrenheit for 4 hours
• Lower the heat a bit and cook for 2-3 more hours
Another alternative is to fry the rinsed and sprinkled chops in olive oil until brown using a frying pan with tight-lid cover over medium-high heat or 350 degrees F. Reduce heat to low and add garlic and beer or soup and milk over the top. Transfer the cut to a slow cooker.
Pork chops are the best no matter how you cook them. There are many side dishes, sauces, and coating mixtures that go along well with this kind of meat. They are high in protein and are good nutritional diet. When fried and grilled, pork chops can easily go dry. The best method is to bake pork chops.
When choosing the method to bake, choose lean pork chops. In order to keep the pork’s juices, apply a mixture of coating on all sides. You have many options on how to coat your meat but the best kind are homemade. This gives you the control on how much sodium you’d like and to avoid preservatives.
Here are steps to follow to bake pork chops:
- Rinse the pork chop well and pat dry
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
- Season both sides with pepper and salt and/or garlic powder
- Combine your choice of coating mixture and place in a plastic bag (the best option is to combine bread crumbs and flour)
- Dip the cuts in egg (with or without milk)
- Place the cuts inside the coating mixture bag and shake them well. Make sure nothing’s left uncoated. Do this one by one.
- You have the option to fry them approximately for 5 minutes over medium-high heat or until brown before baking in the oven.
- Place the chops on a baking dish or a pan with a cookie sheet sprayed with oil
- Bake the pork chops in the oven between 35 minutes to 1 hour depending on the thickness
- If you want to add soup mixture such as cream of mushroom, milk and white wine, combine them and pour them over the top after 1 hour of baking
- Bake for another 30 minutes
- For tender and juicy pork chops, cover the baking dish or pan loosely with foil between 3 – 5 minutes
Pork chops are kitchen staple. They are juicy, yummy, and easy to cook. This is one of the most versatile meats that can be mixed and partnered with almost everything: rice, pasta, mash potatoes, vegetables, fruits and etc. Pork chops are delicious simply by itself, with water or with juices such as pineapple, milk, sauerkraut and just about anything.
The trick to cooking pork chops is to know which cut is best for certain methods of cooking. They can be cook slow or fast, grilled, fried or baked. Whatever your method keep your pork chops from drying. Always rinse, pat dry and sprinkle with salt, pepper and/or garlic powder to taste on both sides. For tender and juicy pork, as soon as you remove the pan out of the oven and before serving, cover the dish loosely with foil for about 3 – 5 minutes.
Here are best ways to cook pork chops in the oven:
- Boneless – Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place rinsed and sprinkled chops in a baking or Pyrex dish. Pour liberal amount of BBQ sauce or water. Cover with foil. Bake for about 40 minutes. Serve with green peas, corn and carrot or mash potatoes. Mac and cheese goes well with this dish too.
- Fry Then Bake – Lightly coat the cuts with flour. Dip the chops in egg and milk. Coat with bread crumbs and other spices you’d like. Fry them in olive oil or butter over medium-high heat until golden brown. Place them in a baking dish. Bake for about 35 – 60 minutes depending on the Pour a combination of cream of mushroom, milk and wine over the chops. Bake them again for another 30 minutes.
- Cheesy Baked Chops – Dip chops in melted butter. Roll them in a dry mixture of bread crumbs, grated Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and pepper. Place in greased baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for one hour.